The chart configuration is the usual for a stock that's no longer on the climb. The fast stochastic is leading the way as it plunges toward the 20-line, the macd is trending down as it heads toward its zero-line, and the slower-moving parabolic sar and the pps are in disagreement over the state of the stock.
AMD has been on a gentle downward undulation since April. A break below the last swing low, $6.96, would mean that pattern is continuing.
Although downtrending, AMD's range is wide enough to allow successful swing trading. The most recent counter-trend upswing covered 18.5%, plenty of short-term profit for any private trader.
|pps||pps open||upper pivot||lower pivot|
|AMD $7.49||$7.61 jul30||$8.57 14.4%||$6.05 19.2%|
On the Person's chart, the decline has swept the price to below the midline, although the lower pivot is positioned so far away as to give plenty of room for further decline.
- $9.19, +22.7%
- $8.25, +10.2%
- $7.49 <== You are here.
- $7.11, -5.1%
- $6.96, -7.1%
OK. The credit bubble burst. Housing, burst. Shockwaves reverberated. Markets collapsed. What lies ahead as we reemerge from the wreckage.
Tim Bovee, Private Trader tracks the trades of a private trader for his own accounts. Nothing in this blog constitutes a recommendation to buy or sell stocks, options or any other financial instrument. The only purpose of this blog is to provide education and entertainment. No trader is ever 100 percent successful in his or her trades. Trading in the stock and option markets is risky and uncertain. Each trader must make trading decision decisions for his or her own account, and take responsibility for the consequences.Abbreviations:
- psar - Parabolic Stop and Reverse
- adx - Average Directional Index
- pps - Person's Proprietary Signal
- ma20 - 20-day moving average
- macd - Moving Average Convergence-Divergence
- sto - Fast Stochastic
- trend: Determined by the 5-day moving average, green for up, red for down, yellow for sideways
- adx: orange for above 30-up, blue for 20-down, purple for in the middle. Red is most prone to whipsaws
- psar, pps, macd: green for bull mode, red for bear
- sto: green for overbought, red for oversold, yellow for the neutral zone.