There are 32 days before the August options expire, 60 the September and 88 the October.
On the jump, market stats, econ reports, trading calendar and a good book...
Blue chip stocks (SPY) closed the latest regular session up 0.6% from the prior close. During the day SPY traversed 1.3% low to highin a net move up of 0.2%.
Friday's extremes: Open $107.55, high $107.63, low $106.22, close $107.29.
SPY traded within the DeMark pivots. The next DeMark pivots are $106.76-$108.17.
In total, 2.7 billion shares were traded on the three major U.S. stock exchanges, 27% fewer than on the prior trading day.
The housing starts report is out at 8:30 a.m. Eastern. It is treated as a fairly broad indicator. If builders are starting to build more, then they clearly have confidence that there's enough consumer confidence out there to assure a market.
Small fry: A ICSC-Goldman report on major retail chain sales at 7:45 a.m., and the rival Redbook measure of retail sales at 8:55 a.m. They're both weeklies, and rarely move the markets.
By my rules, at this point in the cycle I can trade August calendar, vertical, diagonal and butterfly spreads, iron condors and covered calls. Also, September straddles and single calls or puts. Shares, of course, are good anytime.
OK. The credit bubble burst. Housing, burst. Shockwaves reverberated. Markets collapsed. What lies ahead as we remerge from the wreckage.
- psar - Parabolic Stop and Reverse
- adx - Average Directional Index
- pps - Person's Proprietary Signal
- ma20 - 20-day moving average
- macd - Moving Average Convergence-Divergence
- sto - Fast Stochastic
About the glance: The colors indicate the state of each signal.
- trend: Determined by the 5-day moving average, green for up, red for down, yellow for sideways
- adx: orange for above 30-up, blue for 20-down, purple for in the middle. Red is most prone to whipsaws
- psar, pps, macd: green for bull mode, red for bear
- sto: green for overbought, red for oversold, yellow for the neutral zone.