Friday, March 19, 2010

Closed dividend positions AOD, NLY

I've closed my two dividend-stock holdings, AOD and NLY, on reversals. I've learned with these that it's good to get out early on, although the natural temptation is to stay aboard in order to capture the dividend.

AOD dropped sharply today as the signals turned sour. I sold my shares for $8.90, for a capital gain of 52¢, or 6.2%. Moreover, I got a 12¢ dividend, so the total yield is 64¢, or 7.6%. Not at all bad for a month-long position.

trendadxpsarppsmacdsto
AOD $8.90

NLY also began a decline, although less pronounced than AOD's. The shares went for $18.46, for a capital loss of $1.01, or 5.2%. In six months I held the shares, I collected $1.44 in dividends, so the total yield was 2.2%. Not great, but not awful.

trendadxpsarppsmacdsto
NLY $18.46

No comments:

Post a Comment