SPY (S&P 500) has paused just above the ceiling of the sideways channel in effect since early August.
QQQ (Nasdaq 100) continues to bounce along an uptrending channel that began Aug. 9.
VIX (fear index) remains at the floor of a sideways channel that began Aug. 9 after several attempts to break below in recent days.
TLT (Treasury long-term debt) has paused just below its 20-day low, dropping back after a decisive breakout on Tuesday.
JNK (corporate high-yield debt) is at the floor of the mid-point of the uptrending price channel that began Oct. 14.
USO (crude oil) has stalled following a break above the downtrending channel that was been in force from May 2 to Oct. 14.
GLD (gold) has broken above a narrow sideways trend in force from late Sept. 26 to Oct 26.
JJC (copper) has broken above a sideways range in effect since Oct. 6, gapping past its 20-day high.
UUP (U.S. dollar) has broken below its 20-day low as it trades at the mid-point of a downtrend that began on Oct. 4.
EEM (emerging markets) has paused after breaking above the stall pattern of the past week. The 10-day moving average moved above the 40-day ma.
Indicator Exchange-Traded Fund Symbols:
EEM - emerging markets
GLD - gold, a counter-directional proxy for inflation fears.
JNK - high-yield corporate bonds
QQQQ - Nasdaq 100 index
SPY - S&P 500 index
TLT - Treasury long-term bonds
USO - crude oil
UUP - U.S. dollar index, against a basket of currencies; largely a dollar-euro proxy
VIX - fear index, implied volatility of the S&P 500
- phase: 20-day price channel phase, with green for bull trend, red for bear trend and yellow for neutral trend.
- trend: Price direction, green for higher highs and higher lows, red for lower highs and lower lows, yellow for sideways, and grey for neutral or ambiguous.
- adx: Average directional index location, indicating the strength, or the temperature, of the trend. Orange for 40 or greater, aqua (light blue) for 25 and up but below 40, magenta (light purple) for 20 and up but below 25, and brown for anything below 20. (Mnemonic: Orange for the overhead sun, blue for the surrounding sky, magenta for sunset on the horizon and brown for the earth.)
- 200/50: The moving average cross, green for the 50-day ma above the 200, red for below and yellow for closely aligned.
- 40/10: The moving average cross, green for the 10-day ma above the 40, red for below and yellow for closely aligned.
About my trading methods
Read a detailed explanation of my analysis method, including trading rules.
Tim Bovee, Private Trader tracks the analysis and trades of a private trader for his own accounts. Nothing in this blog constitutes a recommendation to buy or sell stocks, options or any other financial instrument. The only purpose of this blog is to provide education and entertainment.
No trader is ever 100 percent successful in his or her trades. Trading in the stock and option markets is risky and uncertain. Each trader must make trading decision decisions for his or her own account, and take responsibility for the consequences.
The trader’s greatest sin is inaction. Sleeper, awake! Seize the Nietzchean moment. Roll out of bed and trade.