Treasury long-term bonds (TLT) and gold (GLD) return to neutrality after closing twice within the 55-day price channel.
U.S. dollar (UUP) moves above the 55-day price channel into bull phase in trading against a basket of currencies.
Indicator Exchange-Traded Fund Symbols:
EEM - emerging markets
GLD - gold
JNK - high-yield corporate bonds
QQQQ - Nasdaq 100 index
SPY - S&P 500 index
TLT - Treasury long-term bonds
USO - crude oil
UUP - U.S. dollar index
VIX - fear index
- chan: 55-day price channel phase, with green for bull trend, red for bear trend and yellow for neutral trend. I use the base rule for phase changes: A 55-day channel phase continues until the price has crossed beyond the opposite 20-day channel boundary.
- adx: Average directional index location, indicating the strength, or the temperature, of the trend. Orange for 40 or greater, aqua (light blue) for 25 and up but below 40, magenta (light purple) for 20 and up but below 25, and brown for anything below 20. (Mnemonic: Orange for the overhead sun, blue for the surrounding sky, magenta for sunset on the horizon and brown for the earth.)
- adx tr: Average directional index trend, indicating whether the trend is strengthening or weakening. Green for strengthening (up), red for weakening (down), yellow for unchanging (yellow).
- psar: The parabolic sar, either green for bullish or red for bearish.
- macd: The macd, either green for bullish or red for bearish.
About channel analysis
Read a detailed explanation of my channel analysis method, including trading rules.
Tim Bovee, Private Trader tracks the analysis and trades of a private trader for his own accounts. Nothing in this blog constitutes a recommendation to buy or sell stocks, options or any other financial instrument. The only purpose of this blog is to provide education and entertainment.
No trader is ever 100 percent successful in his or her trades. Trading in the stock and option markets is risky and uncertain. Each trader must make trading decision decisions for his or her own account, and take responsibility for the consequences.
The trader’s greatest sin is inaction. Sleeper, awake! Seize the Nietzchean moment. Roll out of bed and trade.