Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Life imitates art


The book, mentioned on NPR's Morning Edition. piqued my interest as I downed my scrambled eggs and coffee after posting today's Morningline.

Adam Haslett began researching his first novel, Union Atlantic, in the 1990s, long before the 2008 collapse of capitalist finance brought the world's economies to the brink of total ruin.

"I’d become fascinated by this idea of the anonymous power that the Fed and other public and private bureaucracies have over our daily lives and I wanted to place a character at the pinnacle of one of those organizations, mostly to discover for myself how that kind of mind would work. That, in turn, gave me the idea of a troubled bank that the Fed would be regulating, and thus a banker," Haslett said in an Amazon.com interview.

Here's a link to the Morning Edition story. Amazon link is to the right.


No comments:

Post a Comment