Thursday, February 18, 2010

Opened GCI Covered Call

I've opened a March covered call on GCI.

The position is structured is stock purchased at $15.21 and an option, expiring March 19, with a strike price of $15 sold for a premium of 97 cents.


If at expiration the stock price as $15 or higher, then my net gain will be 76 cents (because of a 21-cent loss on the stock -- $15.21 minus $15). If the price is below $15, then the option expires worthless, and I keep all of the 97-cent premium.

In other words, the return if exercised is 5%, if expired, 6.4%. Not too bad for a month-long position.

At $15.21, GCI is slightly above the halfway mark between resistance at $15.60 and support at $13.80. Since I make more off the premium on a slight decline, I'm not unhappy to have a bit more running room to the downside.

Earnings are April 12, after expiration, but close enough to motivate some price movement.

Although it didn't factor into my decision, a new macd bull signal is showing on the GCI chart.

Here's the full covered call scan that I did last weekend.


An excellent book covered calls that anyone, novice or old hand, can benefit from. Covererd calls are among the best ways to generate income off of a trading account, and trader Ron Groenke covers all the bases in showing how it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment