Thursday, March 18, 2010

GME gaps up

Absolutely nothing of interest in my scan of the currencies, exchange-traded funds and corporate shares, except to note that my ex, GME, has gapped up to as high as 11.3% above Wednesday's close.

The move came on the day a fourth-quarter loss was reported, but the company made a lot of happy talk about future potential.

On March 15 I closed a covered call on GME after the price blew past several lower reversal levels, rather than moving up as the technicals had signaled.


Even if I had not sold out, I would not have participated in today's rise, since I had declared that I wouldn't hold the position through earnings. So, disappointing, but by my rules, unavoidable.

As a was mentor once said, "If you follow your rules, you've won, even the trade fails. Ignore your rules, and you've lost, even if the trade succeeds."

Here's what I wrote when I . . .

trendadxpsarppsmacdsto
GME $21.11


About the glance: The colors indicate the state of each signal.

  • trend: green for up, red for down, yellow for sideways
  • adx: green for above 30-up, red for 20-down, yellow for in the middle. Red is most prone to whipsaws
  • psar, pps, macd: green for bull mode, red for bear
  • sto: green for overbought, red for oversold, yellow for the neutral zone.

Abbreviations:
psar - Parabolic Stop and Reverse
adx - Average Directional Index
pps - Person's Proprietary Signal
ma20 - 20-day moving average
macd - Moving Average Convergence-Divergence
mfi - Money Flow Index
sto - Fast Stochastic

No comments:

Post a Comment