Wednesday, April 28, 2010

4/28 Signals

No signals in today's scan met my criteria.

By my method, I reject out-of-hand any signal on a stock that will be reporting earnings in the next six weeks. There's too great a chance for an analyst surprise.


Otherwise, many signals are on stocks that lack a strong trend or that are counter to a strong trend. I'm a trend follower, so those two aspects are deal killers.

And any signal based on a news report won't make the grade, on grounds that the news has already been priced in .

Here are signals that were flawed in some respect:

Counter-trend: QQQQ, AMZN, UTX, BDY, CAKE.

Insufficient trend: MSFT, AMD, QID, STX, QLD, SMH, ANH.

ANH was also rejected because it's price declined when it went ex-dividend.

I define the strength of a trend based on the average directional index. It must be 30 or above to meet my criteria.

I define the direction of a trend based on the "look" on a three-month daily chart. No precise analysis needed: I know a trend when I see it.

Options as a Strategic Investment

Options as a Strategic Investment is a one-stop source of practical information, clearly presented, about the the trader's most important tool for managing risk. This book occupies an important place on my desk.


New to Private Trader? Check out the Reader's Guide.

New to private trading? Here's a look at How to Become a Private Trader.

No comments:

Post a Comment