Thursday, February 18, 2010

2/18 Watchlist

There's no change in the indicators from this morning's trends. I won't waste our time trying to make something out of nothing new. Let's go straight to the scans.

Here's what's interesting among high-volume . . .


. . . exchange-traded funds:
  • Nothing of interest. Seriously. Not joking. My scan of etfs with 5 million plus shares of volume generally takes up a couple of pages. Less than one page today.
. . . corporate shares:
  • ZNT (Yes, I haven't heard of them either) is trading 30.6% above yesterday's close after a buyout agreement. Not a trade for me, obviously, but I'm just fascinated that this stock had a volume of 140,088 shares yesterday, and has exceeded 25 million shares today. Just as a motivating thing, I don't understand why traders would jump into the stock after the move, but a tick chart shows heavy volume all day long.
  • HPQ is up for a third day after breaking through near-term resistance on a macd bull signal. Now at $50.53, it's heading toward resistance at $51.50. The rise began a couple of days before earnings were announced yesterday. In a broader view I see this move as a bear-market retracement, so it's not really a trade for me.


Save on books with an Amazon Kindle. I've used mine for more than a year, and like both the readability and the portability of being able to carry my extensive library with me in a 10.2-ounce device thinner than paperback book.
  • QCOM is showing a new macd bull signal as it trades at very near term resistance (at $39.67).  If it can break above $40, then it has a chance to fill in a large downward gap, say at $44, and maybe to hit the next higher resistance, at about $46. I see it a as an upward retracement in a downtrend.
  • MO shows a new macd bull signal on a rise traversing 1.8% low to high. At $20, it's trading at resistance dating back to December. If that's cleared, the next resistance oint is around $20.50, so not a lot of upside here.
  • Lots of sharp moved dictated by earnings surprises, which I don't find to be interesting, since the news has already prompted the move. ("Buy the rumor, sell the news," says the old trader adage.)
New to Private Trader? Check out the Reader's Guide.

New to private trading? Here's a look at How to Become a Private Trader.


Topics:
Zenith National Insurance, Hewlett-Packard, Qalcomm, Altria.

No comments:

Post a Comment